Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Side Cornrows and Medium Box Braids


When I asked Syd what kind of style she wanted, she said she wanted something with cornrows. But have you ever had one of those days where your fingers just don't cooperate? I have those days from time to time, and this was one of those days. I decided that I would give Syd the cornrows she wanted, but only a few of them.

Was this cheating? Perhaps. But that's what I did. :)

I convinced my fingers to put a few cornrows in the front right section of her hair, starting the cornrows just above her ear and moving toward a part in the center of her head.


Then I put the rest of Syd's hair into medium-sized box braids. I used a brick pattern when parting out the boxes so most of the parts are hidden by the braids hanging down. We didn't use rubber bands at the bases or ends of the braids.



Syd loves the side cornrows. It's just a few braids, but they really give a basic box braid style a completely different look. Maybe my fingers will be more cooperative next week and Syd can have the cornrow style we had planned.


Pleather pants and lip gloss...moments like this remind me that my baby isn't a baby anymore. (sigh)

9 comments:

  1. Nice style! Maybe my very tenderheaded 9-year old will tolerate a few cornrows to spice up her box braid style.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She looks beautiful as always!! Do you put rollers on the ends of the braids or do they naturally curl up like that? Awww pleather pants and lip gloss, she's growing up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! Very pretty :)



    http://precious-curls.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amanda, no rollers. I just wet the ends and add some product and they curl right up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful style and gorgeous hair! I'll have to try this on my daughters.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't they grow up so fast! Wish they could stay young forever! Beautiful style!

    Kandy
    http://kandylandkurls.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Rae, I read this post and attempted to do this style on my 13 year old daughter. We adopted her just a little over 9 months ago, so I am still pretty new at learning how to take care of her hair. I need A LOT more practice on my cornrows and most of the time just end up doing twists. I was wondering if you might have some advice to help me figure out how to get her braids as smooth as your daughter's. I had my daughter shampoo and condition her hair with Aubrey Honeysuckle Rose products, then I worked hair lotion through her hair and used Darcy's Botanicals Madagascar Vanilla styling creme as I was doing her braids. Even during the first day her braids look fuzzy to me, which makes her style look like a week or two old instead of just a day old? Am I missing a product step? I could email a picture directly to you if you'd like. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Cari. What kind of hair lotion are you using? The products you listed seem fine to me...I actually used Darcy's Botanicals Madagascar Vanilla Styling Creme for this style, too. It doesn't sound like you're missing any product steps. A lot of times, practice is the biggest thing that helps improve the way the styles look.

    Also, different heads of hair get fuzzy faster than others, too. It depends on many things from how tightly the hair coils to how fine/coarse the strands are. Syd's hair tends to get fuzzy a lot faster than some of the other heads of hair I do on a regular basis. I've just come to accept it and expect it.

    If you want, you can send me an email with a picture. I'd be happy to try to help as much as I can. My email address is under the contact tab at the top of the page. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. hey im 11 but i know how to do styles like that but the only problem is i have really short hair abou 20cm long

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...