Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Y-Shaped Cornrows into a Ponytail of Twists


This style was done really quickly because it was prepped the night before. Here's how it went:

Syd washed her hair one evening after swimming. When she got out of the shower, I parted her hair into sections, added Shea Moisture Curl and Style Milk, and detangled each section. The time saver was parting her hair into the sections it would need to be in for the styling session the next morning. Once each section was detangled, I banded it and moved on to the next.

The following morning, I sat down to begin styling. And that's when I remembered to take a picture. LOL!



I was able to remove the ouchless bands, add a little more Curl and Style Milk, and immediately begin braiding one section at a time.

The back four sections were braided straight toward the center of her head, where all the parts intersect.


After these four cornrows were finished, I still had four sections in the front. I wanted to do something to add a bit of interest to the style, so I decided to make Y-shaped cornrows for these front sections. I began by splitting the triangle shaped section into 3 parts like this:


I cornrowed each of the two thinner sections, then combined them and used the third section to complete the Y shape.


I repeated that process on the three remaining sections.



Once the cornrows were finished, I pulled them all into a ponytail. You can see in the picture above that there was just a bit of each braid at the base of the ponytail. I unraveled each braid one at a time and used the three sections of the braid to make three 2 strand twists. Less than an hour of styling and we were done.


A few days later, Syd's twists became a twist out. Her love for big hair is just unstoppable. Unfortunately, she played in the water again and that was the end of the twist out. I didn't get a picture of the twist out, but I did re-twist the ponytail to save the style. Knowing Syd, I'm sure there will be another twist out in the days to come.

4 comments:

  1. i was JUST about to do my daughters hair kinda like this today since we are going to be spending the week swimming. i like the flair with the y to it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it. You give me tons of ideas for styles for my daughter. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a cute style! Thanks for giving me a new style to try on my daughter.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...