Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Dry Twists on Previously Styled Hair


You've probably noticed that I haven't posted much lately. Life has been throwing us curve balls every time we turn around and we have constantly been on the go. As a result, hair time has been pushed to the back burner for the last couple of weeks. That's not to say we haven't developed a system that works for us to keep her looking good. It's just been a steady stream of twists and twist outs.

For some reason, simple two strand twists don't look good on Syd's head after about 5 days. She frizzes up pretty quickly unless the twists are really small. And let's face it - I'm not doing tiny twists when I'm short on time. So I'll show you what we did today as we put in her third set of twists in the last 2 weeks. There is usually a day or two of twist outs at the end of each set of twists. There have been no washes or co-washes during this time, but we've been applying moisturizer to keep her strands from drying out.

We started off this time with a two day old twist out that had been in a ponytail, was frizzy, and had been rained on. Not exactly an ideal place to start a styling session, huh? Here's what she looked like after school today.


I didn't even consider doing an all-over detangling session before styling this time around. I simply picked up a section of hair where I planned to put the first twist. I didn't use anything to part the hair. I just used my fingers to separate that section from the rest of her hair.


I sprayed the section of hair very lightly with a spray bottle (probably only 2 sprays for the entire length of her hair) and added a small amount of Shea Moisture Styling Milk. Then I finger detangled that section, ran a wide-tooth comb through it, and twisted it. The section of hair ended up looking like this.


I repeated that process until all of her hair was again in twists.


Despite what the before picture looks like, there were surprisingly few tangles after her twist out, so detangling each small section was a breeze. The only thing I don't like about doing these twists on (nearly) dry hair is that the twists are kind of fuzzy at the roots. I could have prevented that by wetting her hair, but like I said before, I was trying to do this as quickly as possible. This entire process took less than an hour and she'll be good to go for several more days. Besides, the fuzzy roots can be ignored, hidden with hats, or hidden by putting the twists into ponytails, half-up styles, or something else that can be done quickly in the morning. Those types of decisions are left up to Syd. After all, it's her head. :)

2 comments:

  1. I love twists and twist outs in her hair. They looks so pretty. The only thing I wanted to point out is that if you're not washing/co-washing, then you don't have to take all the twists out at the same time, but instead undo one and put it right back in. Love your styles and have a great week!

    Natural-hair-care-info.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's true, Dominique-Alexis, but Syd LOVES wearing her hair down and free. That means twist outs and braid outs at the end of every style that allows for them...sometimes even when the style could last a few more days! LOL

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...